Friday, April 30, 2021

I’m tired of being sad. I’m tired of being tired.

 

ARE YOU TIRED OF FEELING SAD? 

[12 TIPS TO OVERCOME SADNESS]

I’m tired of being sad. I’m tired of being tired. What will I do?

When life losses its luster and disappointment weighs the heart, we typically struggle with feelings of sadness. Feeling sad isn’t bad or wrong. It’s a God-given emotion.  But when sadness lingers, it can be hard to endure.
So what do we do? 
Before I share 12 awesome tips that have helped me overcome sadness, I’d like to share a Bible verse that I believe lays the foundation for everything else we do, in our quest to find relief from sadness. Psalm 43:5 from the Message translation puts it this way:
“Why are you down in the dumps, dear soul? Why are you crying the blues? Fix my eyes on God— soon I’ll be praising again. He puts a smile on my face. He’s my God.”
Fixing our eyes on God is like setting our face towards the sun. Walt Whitman writes, “Keep your face always toward the sunshine – and shadows will fall behind you.” Everything begins with God. He is our hope, and solid rock. I know it’s not always easy to take our eyes off of our circumstances and fix them on God, but I’m praying God will help you. Here are some things I’ve done that might encourage you:
  1. Believe that God is good, that He love’s you, and has a plan for your life.
  2. Focus on things above. Nourish your soul with hopeful happy things. Stay positive. Tell yourself, “This too shall pass.”
  3. Talk to God often, and listen. Prayer reminds us we are not alone. Prayer also help us get God’s perspective, let go of our burdens, and surrender to His will.
  4. Read God’s Word daily. He speaks to us through His Word. Also try listening from the Bible App.
  5. Renew your mind with God’s Word. Declare His promises daily (out loud if you can). Here’s one to start : “You, Lord, are my lamp; the Lord turns my darkness into light.” 2 Samuel 22:29
  6. Believe that God is working all things together for good.
  7. Give thanks. Make a list daily of 3-5 things you’re thankful for. Post it where you walk by often and read it throughout the day, giving thanks to God for each one.
  8. Play soothing worship music at home or in your car. Sing along.
  9. Don’t isolate yourself. Talk with a friend or family member, or your pastor. Seek professional counseling if needed.
  10. Hug (interact with) your dog, cat, or other beloved pet often.
  11. Spend time in nature. Take walks, enjoy the outdoors.
  12. My personal favorite: eat chocolate!
Praying your heaviness will lift, and soon you’ll be praising God with a smile 😊 
What helps you to deal with sadness? Please share in the comments 🧡
One last thought …
It helps to remember that sadness is not a sign of weakness. It’s just part of life. Once you’ve experienced a season of sadness, you’ll appreciate the glad times even more. I found this quote very encouraging:
“There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. The speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love.” – Washington Irving

No comments:

Post a Comment