Saturday, August 9, 2014

Pursuing God Above An Education

from here: http://brokenandspilled.wordpress.com/2014/03/18/pursuing-god-above-an-education/

Pursuing God Above An Education

Image 

The pursuit of knowledge can be dangerous. J.I Packer says in his book, Knowing God, “If we pursue theological knowledge for its own sake, it is bound to go bad on us. It will make us proud and conceited.”  There is a chance that if we pursue knowledge and an education and dreams, that we begin to pursue those things instead of God. And so I offer a caveat to my last post–dear girls of my conservative world, do hunger for knowledge and dream your dreams and live a worthwhile life. But hunger for God first.

It’s what my Uncle Lester said at my graduation, speaking from Psalms 37. “Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.” Too often we find the desires of our heart and we go chasing after them. I desire to be educated and to teach, and so I go chasing my dreams. Another girl dreams of starting a business or catching the perfect Christian guy and she chases those dreams. Our dreams can be good. They can also be misleading. Too often we say, “Here is my dream and I’m delighting in you Lord, so bless me now and give me this desire!” It can be like that with getting an education. If I pursue knowledge just so I can have knowledge, I have missed the point.
If my heart is captivated by God, and delighting in Him, the dreams and desires will follow. Not MY dreams, but His. If I delight in learning and growing as an individual more than I delight in God, then a very good thing has been turned on its head.

It all comes down to the purpose behind living. Are you living for yourself or for God? If I live for myself it doesn’t matter whether I become an educated woman that does all kinds of good things or whether I just hang out with friends all my days. The end result is still the same–wasted time. If I live to follow God’s path and pursue what He wants, not what I want, then how I spend my time and my life really matters. Only when I pursue God first can I truly get a worthwhile education that will become an asset.

So pursue knowledge. Pursue worthwhile things and become a well rounded woman. But always  remember–pursue God first.

No comments:

Post a Comment