Sunday, February 2, 2014

One Thousand Gifts

I heard something awhile ago that really resonated with me, which was to have an attitude of gratitude, not an attitude of expectation. Obviously, that's a sentiment that could be applied to many varied situations in many varied ways. As I had been been thinking about this, I came across the blog A Holy Experience by Ann Voskamp. Ann has written alot of posts that really resonate with me (could be partly that she's a farm girl too...), so I began reading her book One Thousand Gifts a couple weeks ago. Some may find Ann's writing style difficult to read - but to me, she paints pictures with her words in a way that conveys a message and doesn't just get flowery/not actually say anything. 

The sub-title of the book is "A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are"... A few thoughts from the cover of the book that caught my attention:

...Ann Voskamp hungers to live her one life well. Forget the bucket lists about once-in-a-lifetime experiences. How we find joy in the midst of deadlines, debt, drama and daily duties? Wake up to God's everyday blessings - in giving thanks for the life she already had, she found the life she'd always wanted. Follow Voskamp's grace-bathed reflections on farming, parenting and writing, and embark on a transformative spiritual discipline of chronicling gifts..open your eyes to gratitude, a way of living so you aren't afraid to die, and become present to God's presence that brings deep and lasting happiness.  Leave the parched ground of pride, fear and white-knuckle control and abandon yourself to the God who overflows your cup..Biblically lament loss, turn pain into poetry, intentionally embrace a life of radical gratitude, slow down and catch God in the moment.

Well, well, well, right in line with my 2014 goal of NO RUSH. 

Shortly thereafter, an announcement was made in church that a new women's Sunday School class would be starting shortly about...One Thousand Gifts. 
 
So, I thought about it, and I prayed about it. Talked to Jeremy about it. And today went to the first day of class. Guess what the title of the first study guide session is, starting next week..An Attitude of Gratitude. I smiled. God is so awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment